Roadmap

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I think VSLab should remain a shell that bridges the gap between F# and Visual Studio, I assume and hope that people will develop Viewlets and integration with external libraries. I think that the most urgent need is:

• Documentation for developers
  • Facilities for developing Viewlets (I have developed a lightweight controls library for WinForms using F#, I think it should be integrated
  • Defining a set of base viewlets for plot
  • Single bundle based on Visual Studio Shell
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM
The VSLab codename Hal release has consolidated VSLab Kit version and introduced major improvements including the ability of running multiple instances of VSLab. I aslo wrote some documentation to cover the main areas. As usual documentation can be improved and extended, nevertheless now we have some basis.
Here are further directions:
  • Lightweight controls library and base widgets to have simple controls in viewlets implementation. I believe in this respect that Viewlets must remain mostly for data visualization, nevertheless basic input controls may be very useful.
  • Single bundle deployment (VS shell + F# + VSLab)
  • Improvement of viewlet management through the toolbar so that the F# toolwindow can be ideally keep hidden
  • Consolidation of the "control panel" configuration idea: save and restore viewlets configuration
  • Improvment of the notion of consolidation: use of document explorer to embed viewlets after consolidation if needed
  • Use of VSLab as a quick mean to extend VS
  • Math editor viewlet
  • Support for a true Domain Specific Language infrastructure based on VSLab
  • Encourage people to use VSLab for specific applications

cisterni wrote:

I think VSLab should remain a shell that bridges the gap between F# and Visual Studio, I assume and hope that people will develop Viewlets and integration with external libraries. I think that the most urgent need is:

• Documentation for developers
  • Facilities for developing Viewlets (I have developed a lightweight controls library for WinForms using F#, I think it should be integrated
  • Defining a set of base viewlets for plot
  • Single bundle based on Visual Studio Shell